LEASH Animal Rescue

Leading Every Animal Safely Home

In Memory Of ~ Rest In Peace



In August 2008, we rescued Marabelle as a stray off the streets of Inglewood. Her body condition and abundance of scars told us that she was previously used as a bait dog in dog fighting (the dog the fighting dogs attack for practice and training). Despite being used as a throw-away item by people who did not appreciate her for the incredible girl she was, Marabelle was the friendliest dog you could have ever met! She loves all people, all dogs, and even cats (at one of her foster homes, they also had kittens, and when the kittens were playing on the couch and fell off, she would gently pick them back up with her mouth and put them back on the couch!).

In September 2009, we adopted Marabelle out to a wonderful family, consisting of a human mom and dad, a human brother, and cats. Marabelle's human brother had autism, which was one of the reasons why her family adopted Marabelle; for her super sweet, mellow demeanor and ability to act as a sort of therapy dog. She also helped their son work on overcoming his fear of dogs.

Unfortunately, due to their son's autism, in 2014 he began having issues with severe anxiety, in which prompted Marabelle's return to our rescue. We were very thankful to find Marabelle the perfect foster home to stay in while we looked for a fur-ever home for her. Her foster mom fell in love with her from the very beginning, and we knew it was a perfect match.

Toward the beginning of 2015, Marabelle was diagnoses with Cushings Disease and her health began to quickly decline. Shortly after, Marabelle lost her battle to the disease and was put to rest in her foster mom's arms.

While Marabelle's adoption was never finalized, she had already found her fur-ever home the moment she first walked into her foster mom's home.

Rest in Peace, Princess Marabelle. Thank you for showing the world just how forgiving and loving dogs, and your breed in particular, truly are.







Cisco was an approx. 12 year old, neutered male, Staffordshire Terrier. We rescued him from the North Central Shelter in February 2013, after he was impounded at the shelter as an "owner surrender".

At the shelter, Cisco did not have anybody interested in adopting him, and he was not being networked for a rescue. Our rescue's founder ran across his picture on the shelter's website, and we knew we had to step up and save him.

Cisco was the perfect family dog, who was great with other dogs, and LOVED attention and to cuddle. He greated strangers as if they were his best friends and he was very well behaved (a perfect gentleman at the vet!). He enjoyed spending his time playing with toys (tug-o-war was his favorite), playing with other dogs, and taking mid-day naps.

Toward the end of 2013, Cisco was diagnosed with skin cancer, after he began to develop tumors on his lower tummy area. Our rescue stood by his side through over 4 surgeries from 2013 to 2015 to remove the tumors that would continue to grow (and increase rapidly in size over a month period). Up until the beginning of 2015, his blood tests came back showing that the cancer was NOT spreading through his body (it is centralized to his skin and not spreading to his other organs), until his final blood test revealed that the cancer had began to spread to his lungs. We continued to keep Cisco happy and comfortable until he was ready to go. When Cisco told us it was time and that he was ready to go, we took Cisco to our vet and had him put to rest.

We knew that upon receiving his cancer diagnosis that Cisco's chances of finding a fur-ever home were little to none, so we made our rescue his sanctuary and provided him all of the love and attention he deserved until we had to say good-bye.

Rest in Peace, Cisco. You were a special boy, and you touched many hearts.







We rescued Ruby from the North Central Shelter on August 7, 2010, after she was redlisted (put on the list to be killed) and just days away from being euthanized. When we rescued her from the shelter, her shelter medical notes consisted of: bilateral cataracts, issues with her knee caps, thinning of hair, and periodontal issues. Unfortunately though, as soon as we held her after picking her up out of the shelter cage we could tell that she had a heart condition, due to the significant heart murmur we could feel. Additionally, we quickly noticed she had a cough and nasal discharge, both of which the shelter also failed to notice. While she did have "issues with her knee caps" (actually called Patella Luxation), that is the only condition/medical issue she had that the shelter was correct about.

Ruby saw our vet where she had a blood test taken, was put on antibiotics for her cough/nasal discharge, and it was confirmed that she did have a heart condition. A few days past and her upper respiratory condition did not improve, so she returned to our vet for a re-check and x-rays were taken. The x-rays revealed that she had an enlarged heart surrounded by an abundance of fluid. In fear of this possibly resulting in congestive heart failure, we made an appointment for her to see our Cardiologist; however, the earliest appointment was a day or so out, and she ended up needing to go to the 24-hour emergency vet later that night.

At the emergency vet, she was put on oxygen, given an IV with Lasix (a diuretic), and was kept in the hospital overnight. More x-rays were taken, another blood test was taken, and an Echocardiogram (ultrasound of the heart) was done. The Echocardiogram showed evidence of severe chronic degenerative valve disease in her heart. It was also discovered that her upper respiratory issue was actually Pneumonia. She was then put on four different types of medications (two for her heart and two for her Pneumonia), was on watch for congestive heart failure, and was released from the emergency vet the day after she was admitted.

For about 4 months, Ruby remained on the two medications she was put on for her heart and while she still coughed once in a while, she was doing well. On November 28, 2010 Ruby went back to our vet for re-check x-rays, as her coughing had become worse over a week or two. Unfortunately, due to the severity of her condition overall, no further treatment (other than continuing on her medication) could be recommended. We then took a copy of her x-rays to our Cardiologist for a second opinion, but he too did not have any further recommendations.

Even though we knew her days were numbered, we were hoping that she would have lived for at least a few more months so she could continue the happy life she was never given previously, but shortly after her last visit to the vet for her re-check, her condition began to go downhill very quickly. On the evening of December 11, 2010, Ruby passed away in her foster home, surrounded by people who loved her.

While with our rescue, Ruby enjoyed her life and had quite a few favorite activities; such as sunbathing, begging for human food, lounging on the couch, snuggling up with people and blankets, sleeping on her pillows, as well as just sitting on somebody's lap! She had a sweet temperament with a silly personality, as her tongue would often stick out of her mouth a little! During her last afternoon that she spent with us, she enjoyed herself by going out and sunbathing in the yard, and enjoying being given dog treats with her doggie companions.

Ruby was a 12 year old, spayed female, approx. 6 pound, Chihuahua.

A special thank you to Dr. Al Plechner at Center Sinai Animal Hospital, Dr. Nicholas Russell, Dr. Michael Lesser, and the staff of Advanced Veterinary Care Center in Lawndale for your assistance in Ruby's medical care, comfort, and well-being.






  Bambi050-1.jpg picture by leashanimalrescue Bambi099.jpg picture by leashanimalrescue

 Bambi100.jpg picture by leashanimalrescue  Bambi046.jpg picture by leashanimalrescue

We rescued Bambi from the South LA Shelter on July 18th 2009. She was not yet redlisted (put on the list to be killed), but she desperately needed out of the shelter. While still at the shelter, Bambi was being networked for rescue as a 6 month old, blind puppy with possibility of sensitivity to light.

Once we rescued Bambi, we had her examined by our vet and then she went to her foster home. Our vet determined that she was not 6 months old as the shelter had previously thought, but she was at least 1 year old, which didn't make a difference to our rescue, as long as she was out of the shelter and safe! While in her foster home, it was also determined that she was not completely blind, but partially blind, with no noticeable sensitivity to light. Bambi was doing extremely well in her foster home and was finally able to enjoy life and have fun playing with toys and other dogs!

On September 28th 2009, Bambi began showing signs of seizuring and was taken immediately to our vet for further evaluation. She was put on prescription medication, Phenobarbital, to help temporarily prevent seizure reoccurrence, and was sent home for the time being. We began having tests done in hopes to diagnose the cause of Bambi's seizures.

The late evening of September 29th 2009, Bambi was admitted to Advanced Critical Care suffering from a "cluster" of seizures. She was able to be stabilized and returned to her foster home on September 30th 2009. Afterwards, Bambi visited our vet a multiple of times for additional testing, medication, re-checks, etc.

On November 14th 2009, Bambi began showing signs of seizuring again and was taken back to our vet. Unfortunately, later that evening Bambi was admitted for the second time to Advanced Critical Care, but this time she was not able to return to her foster home. Around midnight that evening, while Bambi was being stabilized from her reoccurring seizures, she went into Cardiac Arrest. Despite 15 continuous minutes emergency veterinarians spent on Advanced CPR working to resuscitate her, Bambi passed away on November 15th 2009, just shortly after 12am. Bambi passed away before the exact cause of her seizures could ever be diagnosed and before a treatment plan could ever be put in place for her.

Bambi was only with our rescue for a short 5 months. Regardless of the fact she was not able to find a permanent adoptive home, we would like to think of her foster home as her permanent home, and that she passed away with a family who loved her as one of their own.

Bambi lead a short life, though we are happy to know we gave her 5 months of love and happiness, not knowing if she ever experienced that prior to being impounded at the shelter. Her sight impairment was due to her seizures and once put on her medication she was able to see extremely well, if not 100%. Thankfully, Bambi was able to see for the last 2 months of her life, allowing her to learn how to play fetch with her tennis ball, which soon became her favorite game.

Bambi was an adorable 1 1/2 year old, 40 pound, American Pit Bull Terrier/Labrador Retriever mix. As you can see from her pictures above and below, she loved her rope toys and getting her picture taken!

A special thank you to Dr. Al Plechner at Center Sinai Animal Hospital, and Dr. April Rogers and the staff of Advanced Critial Care at City of Angels Veterinary Speciality Center for your help in Bambi's battle for life, and for making her as comfortable as possible during her last few months of life.


   Bambi104.jpg picture by leashanimalrescue Bambi054-1.jpg picture by leashanimalrescue

  Bambinewer004.jpg picture by leashanimalrescue Bambi040-1.jpg picture by leashanimalrescue

  Bambinewer002.jpg picture by leashanimalrescue Bambi006.jpg picture by leashanimalrescue

  Bambi029.jpg picture by leashanimalrescue Bambinewer006.jpg picture by leashanimalrescue